Instagram -->

04 January, 2013

Orders are orders

So I have been told that my chocolate chip cookies are "you gotta open a cookie shop" good, as well as my lemon cake :)





















Since I am not planning on opening a cookie shop any time soon, I thought I'd give out the recipe for those who'd like to try them at home. I also think it is best to announce that I am, now, taking orders for those who do not want to get involved in baking.

Here is the recipe for the chocolate  chip cookies:

It came from a vegan source, but since it is next impossible to find vegan chocolate chips in Turkey, these will have to be pseudo vegan.
I use cups and tablespoons for measurement.

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
2/3 cup canola oil (the only canola oil I can find is at BİM. You sure can use any other vegetable oil. You can even replace it with applesauce for lower fat value. Swap 1/3 cup applesauce plus 1 tablespoon of oil for every 1/2 cup oil in the recipe. In this case 1/2 cup applesauce plus 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil of your choice. Now, I can't vouch for this swap since I have never made it. Imho, if you are baking cookies, you go all the way. But feel free to try for this guilt free swap.)
1/4 cup soy milk
1 tablespoon tapioca flour(you can substitute it with cornstarch or arrowroot which will result in crispier texture. I like the chewiness that tapioca provides yet it is a difficult item to find in Turkey.)
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract (Now this does not exist in Turkey. You can put one or two pods of vanilla in bourbon and let it sit for a month to obtain a pure pure pure vanilla extract or you can use a packet of şekerli vanillin with a vile of bitter almond extract like I do. Almond is the key here, btw.)
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I mix 1 cup of regular flour and 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour for heartier taste)
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 chocolate chips

Combine sugars, oil, soy milk and tapioca flour(or the substitue of your choice) and mix them really well for 2 minutes. Do not skim this task since it provides an essential chemical reaction with oil and sugar that contributes to the texture, taste and all that goes with it. If you have pure vanilla extract, mix in. If not, move to the next phase: Mix in 1 cup of flour, baking soda, şekerli vanillin and the salt. Add the rest of the flour and mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.

I use an ice cream scoop the portion the cookies. Ping pong ball being the key word here. I place them on my cookie tray. You can use baking sheets if you dont have trays. Flatten them by pressing down to 2 and 1/2 inches with your palm.

Bake them for 8 minutes, 9 tops at a pre-heated oven (175C or 350F). If you choose to make them smaller, then you need to reduce the baking time down to, say maybe 6 minutes.

Let them cool for about 5 minute.

Eat.



Lemon cake is easier since it is not vegan:

2 eggs
1 more egg or 1 tablespoon of flaxseed(grind it in a blender. Add 3tablespoons of water. Mix. Wait 10 minutes and voila you have a substitute for and egg)
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup canola oil (160 ml)
1 packet baking powder
1 packet şekerli vanillin
2 cups flour
2 lemons(grate the skin of both and squeeze the juice)

Mix oil and sugar, mix well, like you mean it. Mix in eggs and the flaxseed mix. Mix in lemon juice and the zest(the grated part). Mix in flour, baking powder and şekerli vanillin. And cook for 40 min at 175C(350F) at a pre-heated oven.

Eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment